Can You Write Anytime, Anywhere?

Now that we’re moving into the summer months, I am looking at our family calendar and all the activities we have planned.  I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to continue to carve out time for writing each day.  Since it is a truth universally acknowledged that I’m the early bird in my house, I know I need to schedule my writing in the mornings.  This is going to be quite a juggling act, especially since my kid is now out of school for the summer.

I know some writers who are amazing night owls, working diligently through the night while the rest of the world is still asleep.  I also know people who can write anywhere; on a ship in the middle of a thunderstorm with twenty-foot swells, on a plane wedged between a crying baby and a snoring man, in a car, or at Starbucks during rush hour.  I can do this if I have to, but I find it very difficult.  My ideal writing environment consists of purposely blank walls, a desk, and nothing to distract me.  I like shiny objects. If there are pretty pictures or things near my monitor, I can get derailed.

Here’s hoping I can find a way to strike a balance and keep my writing going in the months ahead.  What about you?  What’s your writing comfort zone? Are you one of those people who can write anytime, anywhere?

About Tara Sheets

Writer
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Can You Write Anytime, Anywhere?

1. authorashley says:

When I write, I find it helpful to have things surrounding me. Sometimes I do get distracted–well, okay, I usually get distracted–but it also leads to me feeling more inspired by the most random things. Also, I do better writing at night and on a deadline. (:

2. Ted Henkle says:

For me, it isn’t so much a question of where, but “how much time do I have?” I’ve figured, I need about 1.5 hours in order to accomplish any writing, or any other creative project. This is broken down to 30 minutes to warm up, 30 minutes of being “in the zone,” and 30 minutes to wind things down. If I don’t have such time available, then I’m too busy looking at the clock. Otherwise, I can write anywhere I can bring my laptop. Except that is, in a moving vehicle, because I’m very prone to motion sickness. 😛
    But that’s another story…

• Tara Sheets says:

I forgot to mention that “warm up” time; it’s so important! It usually takes me a good forty-five minutes to really get into deep POV writing, so I need at least a three-hour window. It’s cool that you can write anywhere easily, though. I have to work at it!

3. Brandor says:

I’m much more of a night owl – I don’t get revved up until about 3:00 in the afternoon or so – but I can pretty much write anywhere. Except Panera at noon. That place is nuts.

4. E. M. says:

Im like my neice, I do creative things the moment then hit me with a vengence otherwize its status quo.

5. Tara Sheets says:

I do that, too, sometimes… If I’m feeling really excited about a project, it’s full steam ahead!

6. G.M says:

I tend to do my best writing in my head when out and about. Unfortunately, by the time I get home to type it all out I’ve forgotten it all.

7. J.D. Sullivan says:

I’m envious of you guys who can write anywhere, especially home! I work best at a place like Starbucks…with an Americano in hand, frothing white noise and the same musical track day after day. Sounds like Panera might work too. 🙂 I’d tell you that I seem to have my best plotting ideas while blow-drying my hair, but that would wound weird, eh?

8. Roberto Denaro Styles says:

I am definitely a night owl. Most times I devote anywhere from 4 to 6 hours daily into perfecting my craft, along with promoting and do favors for other artist (proofreading, etc). My idea environment is right in my bedroom. My main PC that I use is write by my bedside so that if I happen to doze off; i usually will wake up with a fresh idea and absolutely have to write it down or else, I will forget it..lol. I started out writing poetry (currently have 3 books released). In the past year, I have a new found love for story writing which I soooo enjoy. This was a very interesting article and I wish you the best in finding that happy medium in your day to day scheduling. 🙂

• Tara Sheets says:

Thank you! I like the idea of having your computer right by the bedside. That’s the epitome of “keep a notebook on the nightstand”. You took it one step further. What a great idea! 🙂

9. Roberto Denaro Styles says:

My apologies on all the typos by the way, I tend to type really fast…lol

10. My writing comfort zone is similar to yours, Tara, lots of quiet. If you check out this post, you’ll see pictures of my favorite place to write. I am amazed that people can concentrate in coffee shops but love the idea of writing being out there in the world like that. When I was in high school many years ago my brother did his homework in his bedroom and I could always hear his radio. It was distracting, to say the least. I’m still the same today.

• Tara Sheets says:

I know just what you mean. My husband is a computer programmer and he works best wtih music in the background. I have no idea how he does it. Especially if the music has lyrics?! By the way, I followed your link and I think your writing space is just beautiful! I love the view from your window–so inspiring!

11. tedhenkle says:

I can’t even read listening to music with lyrics, let alone write. I find movie soundtracks to be very inspirational and I’ve been collecting them for years.

• Tara Sheets says:

Me, too! I love movie soundtracks, and I find all that highly moving and emotional music to be really helpful sometimes when writing. I think I used the Star Wars soundtrack for writing a war scene, once. I used the Titanic soundtrack for writing a depressing scene (all that sad, ship-is-sinking Enya music really helped). Sometimes we just play movie soundtracks in our house for ambiance.