Hello 2013

ClockBooksPencilsBlog-wise, I am slow out of the gate this month. I think it’s because in the back of my mind I knew that once I wrote out my goals, the holiday laze-fest would officially be over and I’d have to get to stepping. But I’m ready to run now.  Carrot on stick is strapped firmly to back.

I’ve been trying to think of all the fabulous things I’d like to accomplish in the year ahead.  February will be a self-imposed NaNoWriMo month because I’m drafting a new story, so it’s going to be a little crazy at home.  I’m planning the frozen casseroles now.  On that note, how many times per week can I feed my family delivery pizza before I’m considered a loser mom? Anybody?

Here are ten of my goals for 2013:

1) Turn forty. (Done. Wow, look at me go!)

2) Write the first draft of new story in February.

3) Enter the PNWA Writing Contest by the February 22nd deadline.

4) Enter the Daphne du Maurier Contest by the March 15th deadline.

5) Finish edits on book II by end of March.

6)  Send out all requested partials & fulls, and query, query, query.

7) Attend the 2013 RWA National conference in Atlanta.

8) Attend the 2013 PNWA Conference in Seattle.

9) Exercise (Bah! I had to throw it in there, and no, I will not elaborate.  I prefer my exercise goals to be nice and vague, so no one can hold me accountable.)

10) Complete art project mosaic.  Here is just one section of it. The canvas is huge WP_20130118_002and each confetti-sized mosaic square can only be lifted and glued on individually with a pin.  Don’t ask.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Now it sits in my office, reminding me on a daily basis of its unfinished status.  I’m aware that this does not contribute to an uplifting work environment. A chorus of Feng Shui experts are shrieking in my head as I type this.  But now I’ve gone and told you it exists, so I will do my best to actually finish the thing this year, rather than just hiding it under the bed.

This list is only the beginning and I’m sure I’ll come up with a hundred other things, but it helps to start somewhere.  What about you?  Any big plans you’d like to share for the coming year?

“It’s a dream until you write it down, and then it’s a goal.” — Anonymous

About Tara Sheets

Writer
This entry was posted in General, Literary Events, Writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Hello 2013

1. Tara, I love your tone in this post. You sound like such a fun and real person! I wish you well with your goals. At least you’ve written them out. I gave that up years ago although I do have a pretty hefty to-do list which I work at very doggedly. That being said, there are days when I just walk away and do something completely not on my list, only for me. Seems to work. All best, Tara!

2. Tara Sheets says:

It is daunting to write out goals, isn’t it? It’s the main reason why it took me so long to post a blog this month! Ha ha. 🙂 But see, now I’ve gone and done it. I’ve put them out there for all the world to see, so now I’ll have to eat crow if I don’t make good on them. At least that’s my theory. I can find a zillion ways to be lazy, so hopefully this works! I love what you said about the days you just walk away and do something completely not on your list, only for you. That is so important, and it’s one of the things I struggle to find balance with, in family obligations, writing obligations, and life in general. But I have a really good feeling about this coming year. Good luck to you, too, on your writing journey!

3. tedhenkle says:

Tara: You don’t look 40! Good luck with your goals and enjoy the conferences you’re planning on attending. I just uploaded my first post of the year too, so I’m already behind. Last year, I wanted to post 1 chapter/month of my webcomic. It was too much, since I do both the photgraphy and writing, plus “Life got in the way.” So this year, I’m hoping to post 1 chapter every two months. That’s the plan anyway. Best wishes to you in 2013.

• Tara Sheets says:

Thank you, Ted! I know, the pesky life thing is always getting in the way of my plans. 🙂 Good luck to you this year and I am looking forward to reading your chapters. One every two months is a great goal!

4. Happy 40th Tara. You go girl — you can do it!

5. Hi Tara, I’ve found that listing and posting my goals plus declaring them to others, like you’ve done, somehow holds me accountable to complete the tasks. Other times that pressure adds to my guilt, like the mosaic reminds you of unfinished business, but more often that list and widdling down the items over the year is a great tool to help me see what I’ve accomplished. Maybe you could list all the things you did last year to remind yourself of the progress you’re making toward your goal. By what you’ve listed above, you’re going to have a great year!

• Tara Sheets says:

Hi Cyndi! I love your idea of listing the things I’ve accomplished this past year. I will have to make a separate list just for those. So often I get bogged down in the details, or what’s ahead of me, that I forget about what I *have* done. Thank you so much for the great idea! 🙂

6. Lara says:

Tara, your goals are impressive, and your energy even more so!! I’m looking forward to this year’s PNWA conference (already on my calendar) and I see that you’re also planning to attend the RWA national conference.

7. Lara says:

Sorry, I didn’t mean that I was planning to attend RWA national (though I might). Just shows you the importance of sentence structure : )

• Tara Sheets says:

Hi Lara, and Happy New Year! That’s great that you will be attending PNWA this year! I think it’s my favorite conference, as it was my first *ever* writing conference, so it’s near and dear to my heart. 🙂 Plus, I just love the people who run the show. They are amazing, and there’s so much to learn!